1/15/2009

Student Teaching

Well, my second week of student teaching is coming to a close. I'm getting better, the classes are getting easier. I'm starting to enjoy it again, and feel like I know I can in the classroom. I'm coming out of the box I found myself in at the beginning of the school year. I'm not sure I find myself as close to the rest of the staff as I'd like, and I dont really know how to change that. If I join one side I alienate another. I just dont want to be a part of this ugliness surrounding the department. I need to make sure I keep Gary happy, but I cant be his friend, he's twice my age and in a different stage of life and with different interests. He's a great guy, I just dont know where I stand within this group of people. I'm trying to get along with my students first. Trying to get to know all of them and see them as people before I can start to be friends with the people in the department. Besides, there really arent any young male teachers hanging around, that's just not where we normally find ourselves. I'm coming along. I'm not as good as I know I can be, but I think I'm getting better. Week two down. I still need to set up a resume and get my name out to different schools, and I need to join a team or something and get involved outside of the classroom. I'm still hoping to teach for a year, and then join the Peace Corps. Gary seems to be saying good things about me, and the school is going to be firing teachers at the end of this year. Always scary when teachers are getting fired. But this might be a time for me to slip in and pick up a job. I dont know. How can they justify hiring me when they are firing time-tested teachers. Theres a lot of cleaning-house that needs to happen (supposedly), and i might be able to snag a one-year contract, but only time can tell.

To next week, and the weeks after.
Later all.

No comments: